What medicines can be combined with alcohol?
The issues of combining alcohol and drugs are of concern to many. Moreover, in different combinations: is it possible to drink antibiotics and strong drinks at the same time, is it permitted to use alcohol while taking hormones, etc. Also, many are interested in whether there are such drugs that can be combined with drinks with a degree so that there are no consequences.
The doctor of the highest category, the head of the therapeutic department of the clinicodiagnostic center “Meditsentr” (a branch of GlavUpDK at the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs) Olga Saakyan answers:
– All alcoholic beverages contain ethanol (ethyl alcohol), which has a negative effect on the central nervous system. Depending on the concentration, ethanol successively causes a loss of pain sensitivity, agitation (as a result, damage to the cells of the cerebral cortex), inhibition of the reaction, and coordination problems.
Both alcohol and drugs are broken down in the liver. The use of strong drinks makes the liver produce more enzymes that accelerate the breakdown of substances. This, in turn, affects the duration of the drug. In addition, alcohol can enhance or weaken the side effects of drugs.
Does alcohol save you from intestinal infections?
What drugs can be combined with alcohol so that there are no consequences?
There are sorbent preparations that may well be combined with alcohol. The action of such drugs reduces the toxic effects of alcohol on the body. With caution, you should use such drugs for acute infectious diseases, hepatitis, stomach ulcers and duodenal ulcers, as well as disturbances in the cardiovascular system.
Immediately after drinking alcohol, especially during a feast, enzyme preparations can be taken to help the body deal with the breakdown of alcohol.
It is also worth noting that there are dosage forms of certain drugs containing ethyl alcohol (alcohol solution, tinctures, etc.). But in all cases, the features of production technology do not reduce the effectiveness of the drug. Information on the presence of ethyl alcohol in the composition of the preparation is mandatory on the package or in the package insert for such preparations. This information is necessary for those people who have liver diseases who are undergoing treatment for alcohol dependence.
Alcohol is not an antibiotic enemy. The dispelling of drug compatibility myths
Not worth the risk
Despite the fact that the above drugs can be used with alcohol, still you should not experiment with your health. After all, the effect of drinking alcohol while taking medication can be completely different, including life-threatening. For example:
– The interaction of alcohol with clonidine leads to a strong hypnotic effect and is accompanied by a prolonged loss of consciousness until death. With the combination of alcohol and the drug, the penetration of alcohol into the bloodstream and into the brain accelerates, and the person gets drunk faster and stronger.
– Alcohol enhances the action of anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents (aspirin, dicumarin, syncumar, phenyline and others). This is fraught with the occurrence of profuse internal bleeding, which can occur both in the gastrointestinal tract and in the brain, which can lead to stroke or paralysis.
– Alcohol reduces the effectiveness of contraceptives.
Is there alcohol that does not cause a hangover?
– The use of alcohol neutralizes the effect of antidepressants. Moreover, when interacting with some of them, the result can be an increased heartbeat, a significant increase in blood pressure up to a hypertensive crisis and cerebral hemorrhage.
– Alcohol is very dangerous for people with diabetes, because it causes a sharp jump in blood sugar, which, in turn, can cause loss of consciousness, the accumulation of toxic acetaldehyde in the blood.
– Alcohol enhances the toxic properties of antibiotics, causing symptoms of intoxication – headache, nausea – and completely nullifies the therapeutic effect, that is, taking medications becomes useless.
– With the joint use of alcohol with analgesics (painkillers), the risk of side effects increases. Headache, tinnitus, drowsiness, and lethargy may occur.
– In combination with antihistamines, it is possible to increase allergic reactions, a sharp drop in pressure up to loss of consciousness.
Can I drink coffee after alcohol?
– Do not drink alcohol in conjunction with psychotropic drugs (antidepressants, antipsychotics, etc.), since alcohol enhances their effect on the central nervous system and can lead to a condition accompanied by hallucinations, nausea, seizures, and damage to the respiratory center until breathing stops.
– Alcohol enhances the toxic effect of paracetamol (anesthetic and antipyretic drug) on the liver.
– Incompatible with alcohol drugs to normalize blood pressure, since this is fraught with sudden pressure surges, moreover, the effect of antihypertensive therapy is reduced to zero.
– The interaction of alcohol with sleeping pills and tranquilizers is fraught with intoxication and cerebral coma.
. (tagsToTranslate) medicines (t) alcohol